The past few days have brought a lot of reflection in my household. We’ve all been so sick (it seems like everyone is getting the flu!) and winter break has looked a lot different this year. Instead of snowball fights and hot chocolate, its been cuddles and chicken soup. Charlotte was the first to go down with croup…and let me tell you how scary that was!! She was struggling with every breath and I was freaked out. The doctor gave her some medicine to help with the inflammation and we thought we were on the mend. Fast forward 2 days, and Charlotte (poor girl) wakes up with the flu! I was in the flu’s path next…and when mama gets sick, you know life is pretty stressful!! Thank goodness I have an AMAZING partner in Michael. He not only took care of me all night, but called our nanny, who is supposed to be on break, and arranged for her to watch the girls for an entire day so I could lock myself in my room. There is no way I could have gotten through that without Michael and Ashley (our nanny). Now as I sit here typing this, Madelyn is cuddled next to me fighting a 103.5 temp, going on 3 days now. I’m SO ready for this part of life to be over and for everyone to be healthy!! So send some healthy thoughts our way, friends!!
Between all the cuddles and movies, I’ve thought a lot about where I’d like to see Natalie Colgan Photography go this year. These goals are really scary for me to share publicly because I’m SO afraid of failing. But I also believe that I need to speak my truth and hopefully putting these thoughts on paper and on the interwebs will yield positive results. Another part of this is to keep me accountable. Life is busy and as a teacher, mama, and wife, things can get pushed to the back burner pretty easily. I will refer to this post often to keep my motivation and remember that I CAN do this!
So…here we go!
- Be more consistent about blogging. I really do like blogging but I do need to be more consistent. I’m going to create a calendar that has blogging topics and try to stay ahead by a day or two, so that when life DOES inevitably happen, I still have material to fall back on. My goal is 3-4 days a week!
- Be more present on social media. I started a business instagram (follow me: nataliecolganphotography) and my goal is post on there at least once a day!
- Book at least 3 more weddings. I’m still working on the actionable steps to make this happen, but I’m motivated to make this a reality! We are in engagement season, so if you know of anyone who needs a photographer, send them my way!
- Work through the education materials I’ve purchased. I have some AMAZING classes that I bought on sale that I need to make time to watch and work through. I am going to dedicate 4 hours a week to sitting down and really learning from those resources.
- Be a part of, or organize a styled shoot. I’ll be honest that I had no idea what this was until recently, but it sounds like SO MUCH FUN. In a previous life, I wanted to be a wedding planner…so this is combining my love of photography and planning all in one!
- Be a positive influence in other’s lives. This one is personal and professional. I remember what it was like starting out and I was so blessed to have amazing friends in the industry to help me on my way. I have heard so many stories where others were not as lucky. They were met with sarcasm, negativity and “mean girl syndrome”. I want to be a person that others can ask questions and seek encouragement from. Personally, I want to be make my daddy proud. He was such a kind soul and never met a stranger. His goal was to make every interaction a positive one and to leave them smiling. I’m going to adopt this philosophy.
So that’s it friends. At least for now…I’m sure I’ll be adding to these as I continue to reflect. These are attainable goals and I know I have the support to make them happen.
I wish you all a blessed 2018 filled with love and light.
*Enjoy this throwback to these two who are getting married in just a few short months!!!